Legal Victories: SECURING HOMEOWNER RIGHTS
- MOSEIA joined as a plaintiff in a successful landmark Cole County Circuit Court case securing Clarkson Valley residents’ solar rights from unreasonable restrictions. MOSEIA is setting a strong precedent in Missouri for the rights of homeowners to purchase and manage their own electricity generation to benefit both the environment and their pocketbooks.
- Contracted former Lt. Governor Joe Maxwell to help navigate the administrative, legislative, and legal options for protecting the solar components of Missouri’s RES and promote new legislation. Professional representation of MOSEIA has elevated our industry to a new level.
- Mr. Maxwell and his lobbying partner Steve Carroll leveraged their connections at the capitol and kept a bad renewable energy bill from moving to the Senate floor.
- We secured a hearing for a stronger net metering bill, our government affairs team is holding on-going meetings during the interim and feels confident we will pass a bill next session.
- MOSEIA is working with Renew Missouri and Great Rivers Environmental Law Center to submit comments on the first compliance reports the utilities have supplied to the PSC. The compliance reports state that utilities are meeting the RES requirements by using power from ninety-nine year old hydroelectric plants and by purchasing “renewable energy credits,” or RECs, produced before the RES was in place, both flagrant violations of the law.
- We continue to challenge Empire District Electric Company's attempt to “exempt themselves” from the solar portions of Missouri’s RES.
MOSEIA will continue to fight these battles on behalf of the industry, but we need your help to meet the financial obligations to further our work and ensure that our efforts achieve our goals—and yours. This year, the MOSEIA board has pledged and made direct contributions to the Legal Fund of $45,800.
The potential for industry expansion and local job growth should be endless; however, it is being regularly threatened and limited by entrenched interests who currently have far too much influence in Jefferson City. To provide continued opportunities for our industry we must be able to push back and effectively champion solar and renewables in Missouri. Pledge TODAY!
MOSEIA's preferred payment method is check. Please use the following address:
P.O. Box 434040
Saint Louis, MO 63143
MOSEIA is prepared to provide W-9 documentation. To request such information or for any questions regarding the Legal Fund please contact Executive Director, Heidi Schoen at 314-677-4076 or HeidiSchoen@moseia.com.
* Donations at the $1,000 or higher level are recognized on the MOSEIA website.